Monday, December 17, 2012

Unthinkable Reality

As I lay you down to sleep, I touch your face and softly weep.

I heard the news as I sat with my sweet boy, putting him down for his nap.  I look at him and offer up silent thanks that I have him safe in my arms, that he is too young to know the news that makes me scared to be an educator.  I hold him close, tucked under my chin, breathing in his baby scent and wish him a life of peace and safety.  I want for him to explore his world, to see the beauty in it, to not know fear.  
Even before he came into this world I made a promise to him and myself that I would do everything in my power to help him become a man of honor, integrity, compassion.  I want him to root for the underdog, fight for those who can't fight for themselves, bring joy to others through his thoughts and deeds.  I want him to laugh with abandon at simple things, to smile because he has helped someone else succeed.  These are life's pleasures.
And yet the dark side of me looks down at his fuzzy duckling hair and bow tie mouth and I wonder if  the mother whose son committed this tragic act looked lovingly and longingly at her own child, dreaming a world of possibilities for him, never imagining what one heartwrenching day would hold.  What dreams did she have for him as she brushed her fingers over his sleeping cheek? 
It angers me that I have to look into the pure, unassuming face of my child and wonder if there is a chance that he will   grow up to commit unspeakable acts.  It angers me that I worry about saying the wrong thing to the wrong student and not getting to see my son grow up at all because of one person's selfish pain.
This event is tragic in its incomprehensibilty.  I don't presume to understand the grief, the terror, the loss, or confusion.  All I am certain of is my love for a little boy, one who I hope will be given the chance to grow into a good man who will make choices that will help, not harm. 

No comments: